“There is something incredibly special about being part of a community. It’s how humans are supposed to live.”
BC/Yukon Regional Director’s Report – October 20, 2021 – Regional Executive Meeting
Home of the PIPSC Legacy Cup!
Periods: June 25, 2021 - September 20, 2021 & September 21, 2021 – October 20, 2021
Dear Members of the BC/Yukon Region
I recently came across this passage as I have been planning for my upcoming retirement.
There is something incredibly special about being part of a community. It’s how humans are supposed to live. Community is more than just sharing resources or hanging out now and then. It’s about showing up and investing in the ongoing creation of one another's lives.
Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life. Bill Burnett and Dave Evans
Our union, PIPSC, is a community.
The passage really speaks for itself and gives one quite a bit to chew on.
A union is more than just sharing resources and hanging out. It is about showing up, really showing up. More importantly, it is about investing in each other’s lives.
PIPSC, your union, provides a wonderful opportunity for the community. Please take advantage of this opportunity. Just imagine the incredible personal reward that comes from helping with the ongoing creation of one another’s lives.
Don’t wait, it’s time to get involved in your community.
As per Day 2 of the 2020 AGM, in-person meetings/events at PIPSC can resume, subject to local health requirements. Please be assured the health and safety of our members, staff and the public will remain our top priority, at all times.
Please note that proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 is required for in-person attendance at PIPSC event. If you intend to attend, please ensure you have your proof of vaccination with you and are willing to show it to a designated volunteer at the event.
Keep an eye on upcoming 2021 events at https://pipsc.ca/regions/bc-yukon.
- Steward Council, Burnaby, BC – October 22 & 23.
- 100th Anniversary Tree Planting, Coquitlam BC – October 30.
- OSH Training, Burnaby, BC – Rescheduled to 2022
- Young Professionals Forum, Burnaby, BC – Rescheduled to 2022
Please note the following events/dates for 2022
- Advanced Training 2022, April 13-16, 2022, Delta Burnaby
- Basic Training - May 5-7, 2022, Delta Burnaby
- Regional Council 2022, May 27-28, 2022, Westin Whistler
- Steward Council 2022, October 21-22, Delta Victoria
- Basic Training Nov 17-19, 2022, Delta Vancouver/SFU Wosk
- Leadership Training Dec 2-3, 2022, Delta Vancouver/SFU Wosk
- Young Professionals Forum (TBC)
National / Board Initiatives
Pursuant to the Board mandate letters and additional assignments, my national focus over this last period has included:
- Chair, Executive Compensation Committee (ECC): The ECC continues its hard work on the rest of its 2019-2021 work plan.
- Innovation / Building Trust / Life Insurance Trust: The Life Insurance Trust continues to work on the roll out of an updated on-line campaign to attract new subscribers. Once finalized, members will be able to complete the application process completely on line (a 1st for PIPSC).
- First Contact: In Partnership with APTN, and working with PIPSC’s CLC Indigenous Representative – Brother Greg Scriver, up to 110 PIPSC delegates will be able to participate in a unique opportunity to learn more about indigenous issues as part of this virtual initiative. This work is part of our three year sponsorship with APTN and Indigenous Day Live.
Let me know if you have any questions or comments on my Board appointments (elected) and the specific portfolios assigned to me by the President / CEO.
- Regional Meetings / Events / Calls:
- Regional Executive Meetings – June 25 & Sept. 22
- Regional Office Meeting – July 27 & Sept. 27.
- Van. SP Sub Group AGM – Sept. 28
- Okanagan Branch AGM – Oct. 6
- BCFED Executive Council – Oct. 14
- Board Meetings / National Events / Calls:
- Regional Directors Meeting – June 28 & Sept. 27
- Task Force on Virtual Meetings – July 13
- Group Life Insurance Trust – July 14 & Oct. 13
- Board of Directors – July 21-22, July 28 & Sept. 16-17
Take care, everyone!
Our PIPSC website (www.pipsc.ca) has the most up to date information regarding your Union.
Please feel free to contact me at 236-888-8739 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Robert K. MacDonald, B.A., MRM
Director, BC/Yukon Region